Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Top 5 Favorite Horror Movies

This is my first of probably many Halloween related posts since I just love Halloween so much. (Speaking of which, I am having so much trouble thinking of a really good costume this year--ugh!) But anyway, enjoy this list of my top five favorite horror movies.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

I’ve always just been a big Freddy fan. He’s one of my favorite psycho paths. (hmmm is it normal to have favorite psycho paths? LOL) Anyhow, Nightmare on Elm Street is really creative with the whole “dream” aspect of the movie and I think that is what makes it stand out from some of the other slasher flicks. It’s a great film that really does stand the test of time. It’s also written and directed by Wes Craven, who is one of my favorites so another plus. Not to mention the fact that last year I dressed up as the female version of Freddy. And of course who can forget the classic chant…one, two Freddy’s coming for you!


4. The Ring (2002)

I don’t know what it is about this movie, but when I saw it in the theater, I left shaking. I love leaving a movie theater shaking because it means I was really and truly scared. (which is very hard to do, I can watch certain horror movies and never flinch) I like the fact that the movie was sort of a horror and a thriller in one. I think it’s great when a movie has a smart plot, but can still scare you. I hate movies that are total blood and guts and the script just makes no sense. To this day, I do not like to watch The Ring alone in a dark house.


3. Saw (2004)


So yes, for anyone who has seen Saw, you already know that this movie is a lot of blood and guts. However, I will take blood and guts if they truly make the plot better and in this case it totally does. As a writer, I just think this script is beyond brilliant. I mean seriously people, is there anyone out there who can tell me that when you saw this in the theater that your jaw was not on the floor at the end? I never have seen such a brilliant twist before in a movie. I was scared for the rest of the night, I think this movie is phenomenal. Not to mention I was extra scared of that little puppet thing that rides the bike (eeww puppets--I have always been afraid of puppets/dolls…definitely hate the movie Puppet Master). The only thing that makes me sad about Saw is how poor some of the sequels are becoming. I wish Hollywood would learn to let a good thing just be.


2. Halloween (1978)


Halloween gives slasher flicks a good name. Halloween is chilling and original. One of my favorite things has always been how Michael Myers walks: so slow and so confident. I feel as if they have sped up his pace in some of the newer re-makes and such and I’m not liking it. I think John Carpenter is a pure genius to be able to turn a low budget film into something that is still a leading scary movie over 30 years later. And of course Jamie Lee Curtis is always another plus to any movie for me as she is my favorite scream queen. Halloween can only be defined as near perfect and classic.

1. Psycho (1960)


If you know me at all it should be of no surprise to you that my favorite horror movie is none other than Psycho created by my favorite director Alfred Hitchcock. This movie was ahead of it’s time, had amazing cinematography and it was utterly and truly scary with out being disgusting. I think there is a lot to be said for subtlety when it comes to horror movies. I think a lot of modern films over do it and a lot of their gore is not necessary. A truly creepy story always wins over countless blood shed with plot holes. I always wish I could go back in time and be able to see this movie for the first time in 1960. If our desensitized society can still appreciate the level of fear this movie creates today, I can only imagine how scared someone must have felt seeing it back then. I don’t think anyone will ever create a horror movie as perfect as this one. I was DEVASTATED when they decided to re-make this movie in 1998. I have never seen the re-make and I refuse to. I was devastated that they re-made it period and even more upset that Gus Van Sant was the one behind it, being as Gus Van Sant is actually a really talented director. (but sorry Gus, NO ONE should ever take on Hitchcock, NO ONE). And let’s not forget to give some props to the actors in this movie. Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins were with out a doubt the only people for these roles.


2 comments:

  1. i am not a huge horror fan - but 30 days and 30 nights was creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween use to be my fav but I have gotten where I cant wait those movies anymore...

    ReplyDelete